Saturday, June 30, 2012

Twenty Six Lessons Learned



1. There is nothing more sacred than breath.
2. Opening up to the possibility of new friendships and closing the door on those that have been hostile and damaging, makes the path towards love and happiness much easier.
3. Reading on the Kindle does not diminish the magic of books. As we all know, the experience of escapism in reading has nothing to do with what physically surrounds us, but with the wonder which manifests inside of our minds.
4. Thursday nights were made for strong margaritas and chorizo tacos.
5. Being a boss doesn't mean you have to be bossy. Authority is a result of knowledge, curiosity, confidence, and the will to make things better.
6. Blogging isn't the end all be all for me. If I do it, great. If I don't, that's cool. When it became a chore, a social-political alignment, and a regurgitation of the same information, it was a wise decision to stop.
7. Fat activism is not nearly as important to me as the young boys and girls in my program who cannot read and write.
8.I'm thankful for the people who are doing the work to make a world which is accepting of all body types and give a space for young people to love themselves.
9. The true value of time came to me as I watched the clock on the television, remembering to press the morphine drip button every seven minutes to comfort Victor as he died.
10. Love and kindness can still exist even when it feels like the world has been ripped from you.
11. There are those who will run 26.2 miles in honor of your cousin and hand you their prized medal months after his passing as a reminder of what can be done in the name of friendship. (Thank you, Rachel.)
12. I can paint a room all on my own.
13. I need to travel more.
14. Cooking all of my food on Sunday for the week ensures that I eat more balanced meals.
15. Chocolate heals.
16. Although I do not have an addictive personality, I do look for ways to escape reality. I am thankful for my aunt who did not allow us to drink in the days following the passing of her son. It allowed me to be present with the feelings that wrestled inside of me.
17. Being a witness to the marriage of my friend John was pretty darn special.
18. There is always room for forgiveness. Even as I sat in the same room with an old friend and barely spoke to her, I still found a way to love her as she is. Not my cup of tea, but worthy of all of the sweetness that comes to her.
19. I can operate and direct my own youth program.
20. Asking for help isn't as scary as I thought it would be.
21. The more I draw and paint the better I get at it.
22. Philadelphia, even in the middle of a hurricane, is one of the best places on earth to eat and be with friends.
23. I need to wear sunblock.
24. It's okay to cry in meetings and still call yourself a feminist.
25. Hearing the news that my brother and his wife are having a baby brought so much more joy into my life than I could have ever expected.
26. Subi Alto. Victory. Ready to Fly.

I'm turning 27 tomorrow. Dun. Dun. Duuuuun. I kind of can't believe it. That's a long time to be a live, yet it's not. I'm thankful for the life I have and appreciative of what I have been able to experience. This past year has been a challenge and amazing opportunity for growth. The first part of my 20's have been all about self-discovery, but as my perspective shifts, it seems that now I am looking for answers about the world which surrounds us.


2 comments:

  1. I turned 27 last Saturday, so this list is much appreciated and understood. Happy early birthday darling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My birthday is tomorrow, too, and I am turning 25. I am glad to read that I am not the only person who uses a birthday to reflect on life: what has already happened, what I want to happen and readying myself for the opportunities I can't see yet. Happy Birthday

    ReplyDelete