Friday, August 2, 2013

Three Lessons Learned in July




1. Just run. There's the wrong type of comfort we find in our bodies; the kind that makes us limit its potential. We park it on the couch and forget to stretch. We think we know its limits, but in one short lap around the track this past month, I could hear my heart beating in applause for moving again. With arms tucked into side rolls and all my jelly jiggling in the wind, I was ugly on the track. Out of breath and almost defeated, I felt...human. Doing something you're not very good at it creates room for a little bit of vulnerability and the possibility of a little bit of success.

2. Wearing sunblock won't hinder your chances of getting that summer glow. No longer naive, I slather my cheeks, chin, neck, and forehead in Neutrogena's Clear Face Sunscreen with SPF 30. With no breakouts, trust me, I was skeptical. All of my products are pretty close to being all natural (when did I turn into a hippie love child?), but this stuff keeps my skin looking smooth. I'm never skipping this step, and I've created a full proof method. One for my desk. My backpack. My purse. My medicine cabinet. My makeup bag. It's everywhere I turn.

3. Reading the Four Agreements every morning is a reminder that life is more than my Google and Exchange calendars. I'm not walking around chanting affirmations or bowing down to the great earth in the mornings, but a simple reminder to be impeccable with [my] word has kept me from typing that snarky tweet. I am not the next Deepak Chopra or anything, but I do feel better about myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment