Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Currently Reading: Ruby by Cynthia Bond




Read just enough of it to read the following line and to feel the sense of relief that in this crazy, messed up world that being even half-way sane is an accomplishment:
"They are all kinds of crazy. Some folk drink themselves so stupid. Others so empty, gluttony take they belly hostage. And some get so full of hate, it like to crack they soul. Hell, ain't nothing strange when Colored go crazy. Strange is when we don't." (p. 71)
It's Oprah's Book Club selection, but this book deserves the hype for the way it explores the effects of racism and violence on the mental wellness and health of oppressed people. So, when the stories of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown have us waking up feeling sick to our stomachs or have us running into the streets wanting to scream at the top of our lungs, this story reminds us that racism has been driving us crazy long before we knew to name it as such.

And so with that, I am going back to reading. What are you all reading right now?


Sidenote: Thank you to all of those who are still reading! I am trying to get back in the rhythm and figure out what this space will be now. If you have any ideas of what you want to see here, write them in the comments! xoxo 

3 comments:

  1. Just bought this book, excited to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just checked in on your blog for the first time in a while and am so glad to see a list of unread posts! Very glad you're writing again darling, I enjoy it so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to read and lurk over your blog all the time. I'm so glad I rediscovered it because your perspective on life is similar to mine and reading it helps me feel more confident. I think what you have been doing is just right.
    Also (because of a book club) I'm reading a terrible book called "The Feminist and the Cowboy" by Alisa Valdes. I hate it. It's not feminist at all but it's helping me reaffirm my own feminism and that's not bad.

    ReplyDelete